Sunday 20 September 2015

Hello, High Season!

Midterms, presentations, assignments, the oral exam, the quiz, Love & Friendship Day

“Allow the ebb, and ride the flow!”
Hi.

My undergrad thesis adviser turned life coach has spoken to me on many an occasion about the ebb and flow of life. She believes that we go through seasons; the high season is a time for work, the low is a time of rest. She stresses the importance of enjoying both seasons for what they are, without complaining.

As of a few weeks ago, I was very much in the low season. No school for four months, no employment for two. I took the opportunity to read all the books I had bought on Amazon, get some writing done, spend time with the family, devote time to Rotaract, and sleep.

With all that, I still complained; nothing to do, no life, no friends, there’s only so many books I could read, sleeping all day isn't as fun as it used to be, et cetera, et cetera.

So, I was quite excited when Sept. 1st finally arrived. Hello, High Season!

Work looks promising. I foresee more responsibility, meetings and opportunities to help in the planning and execution of some really fantastic projects. I’m doing my usual two postgraduate courses. And my first class for Debates in Caribbean Cultural Identity was a good one.

Buoyant best describes my attitude and outlook for those first two weeks. Nothing or no one could burst my bubble. My renewed sense of purpose and desire to be more present seemed manageable. This would be a good semester. Yay!

Then, last Monday happened. I had had my first class for the course in Caribbean Poetics. And I wasn't ready, y’all!

It was an information dump of epic proportions. We received six articles, ranging from 15-30 pages each. The course outline was eight pages. The reading list so long, each title was separated by semi-colons. The course assessment included five presentations, two essays and three response pieces. And the flustered air of the lecturer did nothing to alleviate the doubts that were creeping into my mind. This must be what anal feels like sans Vaseline.

What just happened? This was the first day of my first full week of school and work, and the tension between my shoulder blades had already set in, my left eye was twitching and I had a pounding headache.

How am I going to manage with this course and its readings and the lecturer? I still have another course and a job. My already fragile social life would disintegrate. The Blink Internet service continues to be a thorn in my side. Not to mention the new TV season begins next week, and will bring with it the twenty-two shows I watch a week, and new ones sure to be added to the list.

There it is! High Season and its pin/promise of a heavy workload, little to no sleep and weight gain ready to burst my bubble.
Oh. Shit.
My Granny, in her wisdom, reminded me of something: “Life never gives you more than you can handle”. I’d forgotten. And she was right, this is High Season. I have to adapt, to come up with a plan to survive. I need some Vaseline (this sounded better in my head, but you get my meaning).

I’ve got to dig deep, starting now. I’ll have to embrace time management and discipline. This won’t be easy as an impending deadline brings with it a surge in creativity, which I enjoy.

I must remember to have fun. I really love my programme of study, and Cultural Studies continues to tickle my brain in fanciful ways.

I must remember to be grateful. I have a job that allows me to grow and work closely with brilliant individuals.

High Season has its merits, and I have to accept it for what it is. With that said, I will complain from time to time, and be overwhelmed. It's all about balance, after all. 

To all those out there, juggling work and school, managing massive workloads, familial responsibilities and personal lives, we shall persevere. When in doubt, remember:
Until the next post.

No comments :

Post a Comment