Monday 30 July 2012

What Are You Wearing?


(Source)


 Mi tell dem man is not an issue cause mi pum pum tun up
Head ah mash up, because mi pum pum tun up
A yah so good, so him nuh miss you cause mi pum pum tun up
Pum pum tun up, mi sah mi pum pum tun up

After four days in the apartment, I went downtown today for the first time to organize my cédula extranjería or ID card, for you non-Spanish speakers. It was a long process that involved walking around, taking photos, getting fingerprinted, and talking with the guy who was in charge of the whole process about what Trinidad and Tobago had to offer. Amidst all the black ink, flying spittle, and walking around, I had the opportunity to do what I do best, that is, maco. What particularly stood out to me was the way in which the majority of women tend to dress in Neiva. Some looked as though they were going clubbing on a Monday, while others seemed to be advertising to men everywhere that the pum pum tun up.

Imagine in a big, government office, a female employee dressed in a leopard-print jumpsuit with cut out shoulders, and white wedged heels with matching leopard scrunchie and earrings. Meanwhile, her colleague is wearing a pencil pants, a lingerie-esque top with a lace back, and six inch purple and red pumps, taking photos with the cleaning lady who she happens to know from school. The trend continued throughout the city, as the majority of young, "professional" women appeared ready for a long night of dancing, or dinner with an oil rich, old man. These women came across as very inappropriate and unprofessional in my humblest of opinions. I mean, I cannot begin to take you seriously if your big breasts are in my face, especially if they are being held down by leopard cloth. How tacky!
Then, there were the “Delilahs” and “Silvias” who looked downright loose in their tight jeans, spaghetti strap tops, pum pum shorts or short skirts, straddling motorcycles and scooters. I suppose that for the normal, red blooded, tusty male- the sight of so many scantily clad women, riding motorcycles is a turn on, no matter how big their bellies are or how black between their legs are or how sweaty/ dusty they look! To me, they come across as being very easy, lacking class and self-respect. I mean, they leave nothing to the imagination! Maybe, I´m a prude, or really old fashioned?

Overall, this may all be cultural and I´m going to have to get accustomed. It´s not like Trinidad is lacking its share of inappropriately, sluttily dressed young ladies. Just visit some Ministry offices on South Quay, or spend an hour in City Gate. Better yet, go to UWI! You´ll see it all!

Until the next post… Chao!

4 comments :

  1. i love how blunt you are and i read this entire thing with your voice in my head. lol. have fun in colombia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alyssa! Everyone tells me the same thing, that they hear my voice while they´re reading. I suppose that´s a good thing. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep them coming!! Ah love eeett!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this was the best thing I did all week :) Love it

    ReplyDelete